The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is a legal framework that sets guidelines for the collection and processing of personal information from individuals who live in the European Union (EU).
GDPR is a new set of rules designed to give EU citizens more control over their personal data. It aims to simplify the regulatory environment for business, so both citizens and businesses in the European Union can fully benefit from the digital economy. It protects the personal data of EU citizens, and to do so, it regulates how data is collected, stored, processed, and destroyed.
Some of the key privacy and data protection requirements of the GDPR include:
1. Requiring the consent of subjects for data processing
2. Anonymizing collected data to protect privacy
3. Providing data breach notifications
4. Safely handling the transfer of data across borders
GDPR applies to any organization operating within the EU, as well as any organizations outside of the EU which offer goods or services to customers or businesses in the EU. That ultimately means that almost every major corporation in the world needs a GDPR compliance strategy.
1. Designate a Data Protection Officer to take responsibility for GDPR compliance.
2. Perform a third party audit to make sure your organization security policy and procedures alien with GDPR compliance and making any necessary changes.
3. Identify, govern and protect personal data you collected.
Under GDPR regulation, data breaches could be punished by a maximum fine of 4% of your organization’s annual turnover, or €20 million, whichever is higher.
While it may sound overwhelming, there are ways to make compliance more manageable. MJJT IT security professionals are here to help. Please fill out the simple form below, we will contact you promptly.